I revisited the taco casserole last night, and I think I have some tasty revisions (or a brand new recipe!)
- Little over 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 small green pepper, sliced, diced, just cut up however. I had a combination of little pieces and longer strips
- 1 can corn (I used Kroger brand white/yellow mix, no sugar added)
- 1 can black or mixed beans
- taco seasoning
- rice (3/4 cup before cooking)
- cheese, I used about a cup of shredded cheddar, plus a little to sprinkle on top
Brown the beef, add the green peppers near the end, add taco seasoning & water, let simmer. User about double the amount of taco seasoning you would normally use for that amount of beef. (I made my own taco seasoning again, a mix of paprika, chili powder, cumin, herbs, lemon pepper, aleppo pepper, dried jalapenos, and a small pinch of cocoa powder.)
Once the sauce has gotten nice and thick, dump all the ingredients into the casserole dish (I re-discovered the oval blue covered casserole, which is awesome), stir to mix everything together, and back for about 30 minutes at 350F to heat through.
Result: I should have taken the cover off with about 5 minutes to go, to brown up the cheese on top, and a little more rice would have been nice, but this was definitely a winner! We had this on burrito shells, dressing it like tacos.