I’ve been experimenting with baked rice recently, with fairly successful results! (at least, successful enough to continue experimenting) Hardy asked for a recipe, and here’s the basic one I’m starting with for my experiments.
- 1 part rice (I’ve done ariboro, white long-grain, a mix… ends up about the same starting amount.)*
- 1 scant tablespoon-ish olive oil
- 3 parts stock (or whatever you have left in the box, finish with water)
- .5 part other beverage (white wine, rose wine, beer, vermouth, or juice)
- Turn oven on to 350
- Combine rice and oil in oven-proof dish, stir to coat.
- Add everything else, stir again
- Bake 30 minutes, check to see if it’s done (probably won’t be.) Keep adding 10-15 minutes, checking each time to see if water’s been absorbed.
- [optional] when rice is close to done, turn oven and timer off, leave rice dish in, go put kid to bed (takes 10-120 minutes)
It’s tasty, and a pretty good alternative to plain boiled rice. Looking forward to more experimenting (and turning it into a full dish)!
*My starting amount has been 2/3-1 cup total of rice, and I’ve been cooking in a glass bread pan. I’ve also had success in a glass pie pan, adding a little more liquid to accommodate for increase in surface area.